I am her. She is me.
Ethiopia is a vast and diverse East African country located in the Horn of Africa.
It has the second largest population on the continent of Africa, and is home to some of the oldest sites of human life in the world. Despite its cultural and historical importance, Ethiopia remains one of the poorest and least developed countries in the world.
(Watch Melka's story from 10x10)
Girl Up's Impact in Ethiopia
Girl Up works alongside the UN to help fund programs that provide opportunities for girls in low-income slums, as well as refugee girls who have fled from Somalia as a result of conflict and violence. These programs reach more than 16,000 girls and focus on:
- Keeping girls in school to learn how to read and write, and in turn, decreasing their chances of being married as a child bride.
- Building toilets and more water points that are cleaner and more accessible.
- Girls clubs in each of the programs provide girls a safe space to study, learn, and play with other girls.
- Distributing solar lamps at night and helping delay child marriage.
- Sending mentors door-to-door to look for girls who need help and providing a safe place for caring adult mentors to meet with girls on a weekly basis.