Pauline Miller is the type of person you meet and then think to yourself, “Wow, she’s amazing!” and, “Whoa, she’s got a really cool job.”
Pauline is the Vice President of Global Inclusion EMEA at State Street, a financial services company. That means she helps make sure that State Street is not only financially profitable, but also engaging employees in meaningful ways (like getting employees volunteering in the community) and bringing together a diverse and inclusive workforce (yes – that involves getting more women at the top!). Typically banks and other financial institutions have big gaps when it comes to women in senior management. At State Street, women make up nearly 30% of senior management.
Pauline believes in the importance of “each and everyone one of us giving back.” She thinks that Girl Up’s ethos is built on this idea and that’s why she is determined to get State Street involved and their Professional Women’s Network – made up of 23 chapters across the globe – engaged with the campaign.
I asked Pauline to answer a few questions about her career and life. Her answers are insightful and funny. Here’s what she said:
- Learn as much as you can – and remember learning does not stop
- Take every opportunity – even when your arms are full
- Take a leap of faith – sometimes you need to jump with your eyes closed
- Be prepared – knowledge is power, prepare yourself for what comes ahead
- Breathe – sometimes you need to just sit back, take a deep breath and let go